Table of Contents
HowTo: Install MacOS Sonoma 14 with XCode and iPhone Simulator inside a Windows using VMware Workstation
Here is a step by step guide to create a MacOS Sonoma (Intel) virtual machine on VMware Workstation, so that you can run Xcode with iPhone Simulator. It’s nice to have a MacOS virtualised for development and testing.
If you want to test or use MacOS ARM, there are different methods. It does not work.
If you have a Apple Laptop, the EULA allows you to virtualise one copy of the OS
MacOS Intel on VMware Workstation
- Download the image from – https://support.apple.com/en-au/102662
- Create a bootable installer for macOS – https://support.apple.com/en-mt/101578
Creates Empty Disk: hdiutil create -o /tmp/Sonoma -size 16384m -volname Sonoma -layout SPUD -fs HFS+J
Mounts created disk: hdiutil attach /tmp/Sonoma.dmg -noverify -mountpoint /Volumes/Sonoma
Creates install media: sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sonoma.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia –volume /Volumes/Sonoma
Unmounts disk image: hdiutil eject -force /Volumes/Install\ macOS\ Sonoma
Creates CDR file: hdiutil convert /tmp/Sonoma.dmg -format UDTO -o ~/Desktop/Sonoma
Converts CDR to ISO: mv -v ~/Desktop/Sonoma.cdr ~/Desktop/Sonoma.iso
Cleans up files: rm -fv /tmp/Sonoma.dmg
- Download and Install VMware MacOS unlocker from – https://github.com/DrDonk/unlocker/releases
- Create a VM with LSI and NVMe, “Virtualize Intel VT-x or AMD-V/RVI”
- Install VMwae Tools with Unpacker Darwin ISO.
- Enable VMware Tools under Privacy
MacOS ARM on UMT
- Use UMT – https://mac.getutm.app/#:~:text=UTM%20employs%20Apple’s%20Hypervisor%20virtualization,well%20as%20ARM64%20on%20Intel.
- This has all of the details required https://www.sysnettechsolutions.com/en/install-macos-vmware/